Tuesday, June 25, 2013

I Didn't Forget You

Hello love! It felt like a good day for a new blog post, don't you think? So much to update you on, where to start... well, Amsterdam was a wonderful time. I traveled with Lorel, my flatmate, who was visiting her friend there, and crashed on an air mattress in her friend's apartment. Amsterdam is a beautiful city with so much more to offer than prostitutes and weed. We went to the Van Gogh museum, took a walking tour and admired the old architecture and abundant canals, visited the Anne Frank Haus (which was right down the street from the flat), explored the many vintage outdoor markets, and ate fresh Stroopwafels with warm caramel middles that oozed out the side! I won't lie to you, I dream about those Stroopwafels sometimes.

The guide for the walking tour filled us in on Amsterdam's fascinating history while pointing out important buildings. Apparently the Dutch built this city out of a marshland, redirecting the water in all sorts of smarticle ways that are too complicated to describe without writing a novel about it. Then they got into the trade business and made this tiny country a world power. Mad props to the Dutch!

Interesting fact about cannabis--it isn't actually legal here. Only decriminalized. Basically, they still get to tax it and the police just don't prosecute anyone. Prostitution, however, is completely legal. Gotta say, the walk through the Red Light District was extremely uncomfortable. It wasn't so much the working girls in the windows (who were almost all chatting away on their cell phones, can you imagine that conversation? "yeah babe, just at work. It's been a slow night." lol), but more walking among the drunken bachelor parties and other *ahem* patrons that made it so awkward. But it gave me a new perspective. It is said that in order for something to be allowed by the Dutch, universally known for their tolerance, it must pass three criteria:

1. It does not harm anyone.
2. It easy enough to ignore.
3. It is profitable.

They have a saying which translates roughly to "looking at life through one's fingers". Which means that they see it and are aware, but choose to ignore it. I fact-checked this was a real saying by asking my Dutch neighbor, Anne, who confirmed it. But enough talk, let me show you some snapshots of Amsterdam! I left my camera and only had my phone to work with, apologies for the quality.



More recently, however, I spent a weekend in Cologne, Germany. Couchsurfing. And I survived. Can I get an amen? lol, but honestly, our host was a really neat guy who spoke German, Chinese, Spanish, and English fluently. He and his roommates showed us a great time in Cologne, taking us to touristy places like the Cathedral, but also pubs selling Kölsch--the local brew, and hipster concerts in Nike shoe shops. And they even cooked us this amazing breakfast spread with fresh croissants and omelettes. It was like a four star hotel... for free. People are cool like that.

Wish I had pictures, but I forgot my camera again. Stellar, I know. Sorry! I am going to steal my travel companions pictures eventually. Will this photo of Cologne that I stole from Google help?


No? Please don't be mad at me. I would have snapped some pictures with my iPhone but I accidentally left it on the train. I swear I'm usually a functioning member of society and not this absentminded. Really. Anyway, it was kind of a bummer and I wasn't expecting on getting it back, but after calling it a couple times, we got an answer. They gave it to the conductor who took it back to the Trier train station, where I picked it up when I got back. And we texted happily ever after.

Oh wait! I know something that will make you love me again! I haven't posted pictures of Cinque Terre, Italy yet, have I? Here. Take this album, with my love.

0 comments:

Post a Comment